Wednesday 15 February 2012

STEVE. TASK 2 & 7. Hulton Collecion Research. Painting 2 Photography assignment.

The Hulton picture library; the former archine of the British photojournalist magazine 'Picture Post'. The Hulton collection was sold by the BBC to Brian Deutsch in 1988 and renames Hulton Deutsch and in 1996 the Hulon collection was sold once more purchased for 8.6 million by Getty Images and rename Hulton Getty. Getty Images now owns the rights to 15 million photographs from the British press archives dating back to the 19th century.

The Hulton Getty collection includes some really amazing photographs within its truly impressive amount of photos. I found out about this collection by a photography book which was untitled. The book included a massive number of photographs, for the most part black and white. At first I thought the name under most of the images I loved that really caught my eye; Hulton Deutsch, was a photographer but I ended up finding after research that it is infact a collection of images and I wasn't even sure if the photographers of the images where even accounted for then I found the website that Getty Images created to showcase a chunk of the Hulton collection's images and when an image is hovered over information about the photo is then able to read.

The Collections webpage;
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/creative/frontdoor/hultonarchive?esource=google+UK_Brand%2bCollection&kw=UK+hulton+getty+Broad&lid=sdYu2mZlq&pcrid=10166091766&property=GI

just a bunch of images I saw whilst looking through the collection that really stood out to me and/or had a really good story behind it.

PHOTOGRAPHER; Kurt Hutton. (1939)

PHOTOGRAPHER; Keystone-France.


PHOTOGRAPHER; Keystone-France. (1956)
PHOTOGRAPHER; 'SSPL' (1930's)


PHOTOGRAPHER; Daily Herald. (1952)

PHOTOGRAPHER: Bert Hardy. (1955)

PHOTOGRAPHER; Keystone-France. (1960)

PHOTOGRAPHER: Tom Stoddart. (2010)

Task 7, Critique;



I think this photo shows the labour that woman had to do in that time period, and to what extent they had to do it.

Technically this image is beautifully done. The leading lines created by the banisters and the stairs are so strong and contrasting with each other it creates a tense of madness and confusion. The composition of the image is wonderfully positioned/timed and the lighting is beautiful casting on all the right areas of the image- lighting it up nicely.

The things I'd improve about this image is I would have framed the image so (right at the bottom of the frame) the barrier wasn't there. I'd have a lower F number so that the image was a tad brighter and I'd contrast the black and the white's more this will add more emphasis to the lines that the stairs create. I think having another woman further down might have being a slightly better composition too.

No comments:

Post a Comment