Wednesday 21 March 2012

STEVE. Creating my own camera obscuras.

On my day off college I spent a good four-five hours creating three camera obscuras around my house.

what I used;

(water with washing up liquid is in the jug.)

1st attempt- My room;


the Camera Obscura image showed my back garden from above from my rooms windows.



I wanted to see if I could get the image clearer so I went out and bought some black bin liners but they ended up being useless so I dug out an old white plastic apron and it worked better, it brought the image together of the street but it didn't make it clearer at all. I thought maybe a room with smaller windows/less chance of light coming through might work better...

2nd attempt- the bathroom;

The Bathroom one didn't really work, I think this is because the room was smaller and the window itself was smaller, at first I thought this would be a good thing but it turned out to be noneffective. Also outside the window, there wasn't really much that could be reflected through as an image only the top of our shed really is see-able here.

After doing two rooms I wanted to try another room to see if I could get a better result...

3rd attempt- My parents room;

My parents room is the biggest room I made a camera obscura in, I made sure to cover up as much of the window's light gaps as I possibly could in attempt to get the best result I could since this was my last chance as I was running out of tin foil.


The result was that it worked amazingly better then my first two trys;
(wall to the right side of the window is showing the clearest image of the end of the street.)
(Opposite the window is showing the houses across the street.)
(ceiling image showing our front fence, a bush and the street & grate.)

again I tried to get a clearer image of this room with the plastic apron...
It worked better but still wasn't as clear as I hoped.

what I learned is that camera obscuras seem to work better in a bigger room, with big windows. I also learned from doing it by myself that the image you get isn't always a clear/sharp or a clearly see-able one, it only when a took a slow shutter-speed image/reflection of the walls that a saw a clearer image of the outside. When I did this in college the effect was so much better and clearer with being on the 9th floor- I learned that camera obscuras are not 100% reliable for a good/clear/noticeable/effective image because of my attempts all being not as good as that time in college and each other my three attempts having a totally different effect/impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment