Thursday 27 September 2012

Abtract Fear Assignment;TASK 3 experimental images.


I'm going to experiment with using a 4 by 5 camera for this assignment because I love the still, creepy feel that the slow exposer gives the images and I think it'll work well with my idea- this is one shot taken from the camera as I was learning how to use it; I planned to do two more shoots with the 4 by 5 camera but with needing to get my images printed in time for the installation I can't do them.  



When Taking this image originally I wanted to take two images of the same scene but when I took the second photo I wanted the model to change her facial expression so her mouth was open, this was so that when I went to edit the images I could put the changed facial expression on he mirror side of the image so that it looks like the reflection was not the same expression as the model- I'd then further edit the reflection so that the reflection face was scarier- but when I did this edit my tutor told me it was too cheesy looking which I agree it did look rather cheesy and he told me how to do the above effect instead which was separating the two sides of the image; mirror vs real and layering the mirrored side many times, moving each one to a different distance from the original layer then changing the blend of each one so its like the mirror reflection is fading away/ moving like a ghost. 

When taking this image I had to walk around the staircases in order to find the perfect composition elements- I took the image in this composition to express having no escape, being trapped but what this image also suggest is, is hope- hope is the most powerful emotion, this image has a hint of hope in it meaning that whoever is trapped is so close to being free they just have to climb for it- but their hope is dashed when they see how low they are to the window this is shown by the low angle used, making the windows seem out of reach. 

When editing the image I made it darker by adjusting the levels, made it moodier by turning it black and white, added more contrast and made the brightness a little higher.    


When taking this image I set my camera to a slow shutter speed(1/13) and F number 22,I pressed the shutter button down to take the image and turned my camera's body around when it was taking the picture to create this out of control sort of feel to the image; the swirling pattern with a focal point to create the feeling of not being able to see properly,being out of control and lost- all very fearful feelings.

When editing the image I took the brightness down, turned the image black and white then changed it so the natural colours of the image were dull rather than completely making the image unnaturally coloured, because I didn't want it to take away from the realness of the scenario. I brought the highlights out more and added some extra shadow and contrast to make the pictures more deep and moody.    

No comments:

Post a Comment